11/12/2010

Tales From Planet Juicer - The Breville 800 JEXL

If you are thinking about buying your first juicer or replacing your existing juicer you may be interested in reading of my recent experiences in juicing. I have been juicing daily for over three years now and like most people I did the rounds of review and price comparison web sites and came to the conclusion that I would go for a premium product, namely the Breville 800 JEXL. It seemed to me, and to the vast majority of other owners judging by the reviews I read, that this juicer offered the best combination of high build quality, speed and ease of use, and to be honest it just looked so good that if I rarely used it at all after the first few weeks I would be happy to leave it on the worktop as decoration. I need not have worried, after a short time the ease of use and high quality juice provided by the Breville 800 JEXL allowed me to wave goodbye to the cartons of juice I previously relied on.

Back to my tale. I recently stayed with a friend who also juices daily and has long regaled me with tales of the superiority of his Green Power masticating juicer, of how quiet it is in use and how the juice is far superior to a centrifugal juicer like mine. I juice first thing every morning, in fact I drink about a liter of fruit and vegetable juice for my breakfast and that does me fine until lunch time, so I need to produce a lot of juice quickly and with the least amount of fuss, and I was looking forward to seeing a masticating juicer in action. The first big difference was the time needed to prepare your fruit and veg, a full six minutes of cutting, dicing, coring compared to my normal preparation time of, well moments really.

I tend to base my juice on carrots and apples, sometimes I lop the top off the carrots, sometimes I don't bother. My Breville 800 JEXL has a feed chute which is 3" wide and 7" long so carrots go in whole three or four at a time and most apples can easily fit and stack up, again about three at a time. I also noticed that my friend had left out some of the celery that he had planned to juice, "why's that" I ask, " because if they are not 100% fresh they go a bit springy and jam the gears". Springy or not my Breville will demolish it with ease. Also with its powerful 1000 watt motor and ultra high 13,000 rpm cutting disc it will turn the hardest carrots, beetroot, or parsnips into thick creamy juice in seconds.

Next he is leaning his weight on the plunger and forcing the veg through!. Forcing ingredients is not a problem with the Breville, drop it in and zap it's gone!. Anyway, after a few minutes, admittedly a few quieter masticating minutes, juicing all comes to a stop again. The pulp has backed up along the screw mechanism which needs to be dismantled and cleared. I try to hide my amusement because I really do value our friendship.

Twenty minutes after the juicing process begins I have a glass of very nice juice all to myself, and yes it is lovely, but man if I had to rely on one of these babies to prepare my breakfast I would need to get up forty minutes earlier every day. Somehow I don't think my boss would go for the excuse that I am late every day because I need to wring every last enzyme from my veg.

Needless to say the clean up time for my friends masticating juicer was far more fiddly than for my Breville 800 JEXL, unscrew this, dismantle that, you get the picture, whereas one clip releases all the components on the Breville which can then be quickly rinsed under running water and placed in the dishwasher.

Well my experience was a real eye opener. Did I make the right choice of juicer?... you bet!. Quite honestly if I had gone down the masticating juicer route I am sure that I would have been back to buying supermarket juice quite quickly and using juice bars for that special treat.

The speed and high quality of the Breville 800 JEXL has enabled me to incorporate home juicing into my daily routine with the minimum of fuss and for me it is easily worth the price premium over other juicers on the market. I also know what my friend will be getting for his birthday present this year and I will be amazed if I don't have another convert. After all who wouldn't like to gain an extra 45 minutes 'me time' every morning!

没有评论:

发表评论